Beth Hinds joined Metropolitan State University in August 2017 as the chemistry laboratory specialist and chemical hygiene officer for the Natural Sciences department. She prepares laboratory reagents, equipment, and instruments for chemistry courses. She also manages the chemical inventory and hazardous waste. Hinds coordinates several science community engagements programs at Metropolitan State University including First Saturday Science and Spooky Science Night. She regularly presents at Friday School Visit workshops and STEM Association meetings. She also volunteers at the Science Museum of Minnesota and with the Minnesota Academy of Science at Science Bowl and Science Fairs and is always interested in other ways to share her joy of chemistry.
Hinds earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and Spanish from Coe College and a master of science degree from Cornell University. Her thesis work was on the singlet fission processes in organic semiconducting materials using magnetic resonance force microscopy (MRFM). While at Cornell, Hinds was a regular science outreach workshop developer and presenter for numerous organizations and events.
- Master of Science, 2016, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY; Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- Bachelor of Arts, 2013, Coe College, Cedar Rapids, IA, Major: Chemistry (ACS accredited) and Spanish Minor: Physics Graduated with honors; cum laude
- Dynamic nuclear polarization in a magnetic resonance force microscope experiment, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. (2016) 18: 8806 doi:10.1039/C6CP00084C
- Cryogenic positioning and alignment with micrometer precision in a magnetic resonance force microscope, Rev. Sci. Instrum. (2018) 89: 013707 doi:10.1063/1.5008505
Science Outreach Experience:
- Spooky Science Night Coordinator, Metropolitan State University, St. Paul, MN Oct 2017-Present
- Science Museum of Minnesota General Event Volunteer, St. Paul, MN Oct 2018-Present
- Minnesota Academy of Science Event Volunteer, St. Paul, MN Mar 2018-Present
- Cornell Nanoscale Facility (CNF) Ambassador, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY Dec 2015—May 2017
- Chemsations Mentor, Sciencenter, Ithaca, NY Oct 2015—May 2017
- Folders & T-shirt Committee Chair, Expanding your horizons (EYH), Ithaca, NY Oct 2014—May 2017
- Workshop Leader, Expanding your horizons (EYH), Ithaca, NY Oct 2013—May 2017
- Laboratory Supervisor, Metropolitan State University Jan 2018 -Present Supervise and guide students through during laboratory sections of General Chemistry I (CHEM 111), General Chemistry II (CHEM 112) and General, Organic and BioChemistry (CHEM 105).
- Teaching Assistant, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY Aug 2013—May 2017 Awarded Bayer Teaching Excellence Award, Dept. Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University, 2015
- Tutor, Coe College, Cedar Rapids, IA Aug 2010—May 2013