In this course, students continue not only to learn how to identify and collect digital evidence through forensics search tools, but also to study the emerging data mining techniques. The topics include how to design a plan for a computer crime investigation; how to select a computer software tool to perform the investigation; how to articulate the laws applying to the appropriation of computers for forensics analysis; how to verify the integrity of the evidence being obtained; how to prepare the evidence collected for the use in the court; and how to present the evidence as an expert eyewitness in court. Some hypothetical and real cases are also discussed in class.
- Select computer software tools to perform a digital forensic investigation.
- Verify the integrity of evidence obtained in a digital forensic investigation.
- Design a plan for a computer crime investigation.
- Identify and collect digital evidence using digital forensics tools.
- Prepare evidence collected for use in court.
- Understand and apply the laws that apply to the appropriation of computers for forensic analysis.