This course introduces students to the fundamentals of academic research and professional development related to the discipline of criminal justice and law enforcement. Students learn to search, locate, retrieve, evaluate, and document research sources as well as prepare research papers using writing and citations styles expected in criminal justice and law enforcement courses. The course will also broaden students' understanding of the direct and indirect criminal justice professional opportunities and equip students with the tools to begin to pursue careers in the field.
- Identify and locate academic sources appropriate to begin research in criminal justice and law enforcement.
- Critically analyze, evaluate, and summarize research sources at an introductory level.
- Effectively draft, edit, cite references in APA format and critique academic papers.
- Develop academic and career plan.
- Build professional writing and communication skills.