Public Relations Writing
This class provides practical experiences in public relations writing. Focusing on written communications in major Public Relation genres. This class will incorporate a workshop approach, with emphasis on weekly assignments that are critiqued and discussed as a class. We will focus on producing clear, concise writing that is accurate, organized and targeted to specific audiences.
Formerly COMM 380 Public Relations Writing.
- Be aware of the forms and functions of basic public relations communication tools.
- Create a variety of public relations materials carefully tailored to audience, goal and media platform.
- Develop sensitivity to writing style including full knowledge of Associate Press Style and the ability to analyze the need to adhere to AP standards or alternative style conventions.
- Evaluate appropriateness of public relations communication tools for the situation and goal.
- Improve student vocabulary and writing by providing additional opportunities to write, critique other's work and receive feedback on writing.
- Increase students' preparedness for entry-level public relations positions by providing practical experience in public relations writing skills.
- Know and apply to a specific communication situation, techniques of audience analysis, credibility, theories of persuasion and media theories suitable for contemporary public relations practice.
- Understand the distinctiveness of media platforms and adapt communication strategies to each unique media format.