Virtualization technology has rapidly expanded to become a core feature of various components of enterprise environments. It allows efficient use of physical IT infrastructure by sharing its capabilities among many users or environments. Virtualization is also an integral element to cloud computing and key technology in cybersecurity. Cloud computing provides organizations the ability to create and use IT services efficiently and rapidly without spending capital resources upfront. This course will discuss the capabilities and limitations of modern approaches to virtualization and the variety, complexity, and capabilities of modern cloud platforms and cloud security. The course will include hands-on lab exercises using leading Cloud infrastructure providers (ex. Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure). The course will review the applied concepts and techniques with end-to-end Cloud security architecture with real-world case studies using Web/Mobile based applications, and Internet of Things (IoT) application deployments on Cloud.
- Understand and describe the technical mechanisms by which virtualization is implemented in a variety of environments and their implications for cyber operations.
- Enumerate and describe the different interfaces between the hypervisors, VMs, physical and virtual hardware, management tools, networking, storage, and external environments.
- Explain how virtualization relates to the cloud.
- Understand and describe a variety of cloud service models and deployment modes, and select appropriate service models and delivery modes for a variety of potential workloads, including enumerating the security tradeoffs associated with their selections.
- Develop and deploy a workload in an appropriate cloud environment, including addressing issues associated with deployment, configuration, management, scalability, and security.
- Explain the industry security standards, regulations, audit policies and compliance requirements for Cloud based infrastructures.
- Understand and describe security requirements for the Web/Mobile applications and Internet of Things (IoT) deployments on Cloud.