Employee Development and Training
Recommended: MGMT 310 Principles of Management or MGMT 320 Organizational Behavior.
This course, specifically designed for students interested in human resource management or general management, focuses on human resource development in organizations and stresses applications to improve productivity and meet organizational goals. Topics include the evolution of training and development, needs assessment, the learning process, selecting training and development methods, and evaluating training and development.
- Describe and discuss how training can help companies gain a competitive advantage.
- Conduct a needs assessment to determine whether training is necessary.
- Understand and explain the strengths and weaknesses of various training delivery methods such as presentation, lecture, case study, apprenticeship, simulations, role plays, and group training methods like team building, adventure learning and action learning.
- Design a training environment and short program that applies best practices so as to maximize learning and determine evaluation steps to measure effectiveness of the training.
- Understand the issues that employees experience in their career development and what companies can do to help them deal with these issues.