This course emphasizes the design, administration and communication of employee benefit plans to support organizational mission and goals. Students are taught to set program objectives, understand the dynamic regulatory environment which governs benefits, and learn basic design features for various benefits including medical/dental, life, disability, retirement and flexible benefit plans. The course also examines methods used to communicate and administer benefit programs.
- Understand the fundamentals of design, funding, administration, and communication of welfare, qualified and flexible benefit arrangements.
- Be able to analyze a benefit program, identify program areas and make recommendations for improvement to the program.
- Have a general understanding of the employee benefit management function.
- Have a general understanding of the tax and regulatory issues associated with benefit programs.
- Know how to prepare and present a benefit program proposal to management.
- Understand where to find benefits information and conduct research.