Introduction to Human Services: History and Trends
Prerequisite and/or Corequisite: General Psychology (or two Psychology courses) and Introduction to Sociology (or two Sociology courses).
This course covers the historical and progressive development of the human services field, as well as the present trends and professional issues, including theoretical approaches to human services work, practical skills, human services delivery systems, human services work in a pluralistic society, and using research in human services work.
- Be able to critique and analyze current and emerging trends in human services.
- Be familiar with the broad theoretical frames for human service work.
- Complete a personal self-assessment of human service knowledge, skills, and orientations as a basis for a professional portfolio.
- Understand and have tools for dealing with the plethora of human services professional issues.
- Understand the historical and philosophical context of human service work.