This course covers the fundamental issues of distributed databases with focus on data fragmentation and allocation, query optimization and transaction processing. Topics include: Distributed database management systems architecture and design; data fragmentation, replication, and allocation; database security, authorization and integrity control; query optimization; transaction management; distributed concurrency control and replica control; distributed object database management systems; multidatabase systems.
- Fragment a database both horizontally and vertically for optimal performance.
- Add distributed transaction management control including concurrency control and replica control to a distributed database.
- Demonstrate expertise in reading peer-reviewed papers in distributed databases and explain them in writing.
- Discuss how current database products implement database distribution including query optimization.
- Allocate replicas of fragments for best performance.
- Optimize queries for optimal performance across a distributed database.