This course examines the use of retail information systems applications at an advanced level to improve efficiency and effectiveness of retail stores and chain retailers. Topics covered include: Retail data configuration (the story of a sku), Merchandise planning and IT, Purchasing & replenishment and IT, Role of IT in Merchandising and store operations, Post-season analytics. The course will prominently feature hands-on exercises with actual Retail management software. The software used may include Oracle Retail, SAP Retail, Microsoft Dynamics AX, etc.
- Building an anti-racist learning community and providing high-quality education with continued emphasis on underserved groups, including communities of color and other marginalized communities.
- Promoting life-long learning and enabling students from diverse backgrounds to achieve their educational goals.
- Understand the retail industry as a major player in the economy and the critical role retail information systems play for firms in this industry.
- Understand how information technology is used to support the distinct sourcing and replenishment practices of retail stores and store chains.
- Apply retail information technology to support retailers acquiring appropriate amounts and assortments of merchandise within a particular retail concept and format.
- Understand the quantitative skills and techniques commonly used by store managers/buyers/assistants to make strategic management decisions ¿ and how these are manifest in retail information systems.
- Understand the differences in characteristics between different categories of inventory master data (e.g. fashion vs. staple merchandise) and how these result in variations in merchandise planning data and financial data.
- Understand how to use retail information systems to apply merchandising principles in complex retails settings and to clarify merchandise requirements for different types of distribution channels, including stores, mail order, e-tailing and others both in domestic and global marketplaces.
- Understand the role of applying negotiating and executive presentation skills to the retail IT projects.