This course focuses on activities concerned with materials and inventory requirements, from receiving the materials to their introduction into the manufacturing processes. Topics discussed include objectives and organization for materials management, total quality management, materials requirement planning, traffic management, warehousing, automated inventory control systems, and legal and ethical considerations in materials management.
- Differentiate between independent and dependent demand and the techniques needed to manage and plan based on demand type.
- Familiarize basic scheduling techniques, including finite and infinite loading, as well as forward and backward scheduling and where these techniques should be applied.
- Understand basic inventory management concepts, including cycle counting and the use of Pareto analysis to simplify inventory management.
- Understand materials management terminology, processes and tools used by manufacturing organizations
- Understand the basic logic used in materials requirements planning (MRP)