This course introduces theoretical concepts that enable students to provide safe and effective care related to pharmaceuticals and natural products to diverse clients across the lifespan. A framework is presented for approaching the study of pharmacotherapeutics including pharmaceutical research and regulation, quality and safety, major drug classifications, and clinical management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of pharmacotherapeutics related to complex medication administration, safety and efficacy.
- Identify the roles of the professional nurse as part of the interdisciplinary team in relation to medication administration.
- Develop a framework of clinical decision making based on the nursing process to guide safe medication administration.
- Utilize evidence-based resources to access pertinent information about pharmaceuticals and natural products.
- Discuss the cultural and ethical aspects in pharmacology.
- Describe the process of pharmaceutical approval and regulation.