This course focuses on research as a basis for developing nursing as a discipline and for improving the practice of professional nursing. The historical development of nursing research and theory is reviewed. The usefulness of theory as a guide for practice and research is emphasized. Ethical issues surrounding the use of human subjects in research are explored. Emphasis is placed on assisting students to become effective consumers of research and developing evidence-based practice skills. Competency Statement: Understands evidence-based nursing practice well enough to apply research to nursing care.
- Analyze the inter-relationships between theory, practice, and research to support holistic nursing care.
- Synthesize knowledge of the basic elements of the research process and models for applying evidence-based practice.
- Apply skills in computerized database search methods including the evaluation of source credibility to a clinical question.
- Critically evaluate nursing research to determine strength of evidence to improve patient outcomes.
- Examine ethical issues related to nursing research and human subjects' protection.