Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
Co-requisites: STAT 201 or equivalent. Note: STAT 201 can be taken prior to or concurrent with NURS 444 but not after.
This course focuses on evidence-based practice and the research process in the development of nursing knowledge and in nursing practice. Ethical considerations and the protection of human subjects in research are explored. Emphasis is placed on the critical appraisal of research and application of findings to holistic nursing practice.
- Analyze the interrelationships between theory, practice, and research to guide holistic nursing care.
- Explore ethical issues related to evidence-based nursing practice, nursing research and protection of human subjects.
- Compare and contrast strengths and limitations of study designs commonly used in nursing research.
- Evaluate the strength of evidence in nursing research to improve patient outcomes.
- Integrate research, clinical judgement, patient preferences, resource utilization, and interprofessional perspectives in planning holistic evidence-based care.
- Analyze the relationship between nursing research and nurse sensitive indicators.