Introduction to Symbolic Logic
Symbolic logic uses formal methods in order to study the properties of arguments in a precise and rigorous manner. In this course, we learn about both the propositional calculus, which deals with the logical relations that hold among whole propositions, and the predicate calculus, a system which allows more precise analysis of linguistic structure. The course will focus on both translation of natural languages into symbolic form, and proofs using natural deduction.
- Evaluate arguments given in a natural language
- Translate natural language into the propositional calculus
- Translate natural language into the predicate calculus
- Construct proofs in a system of natural deduction
- Transfer these reasoning skills to life as a student and citizen