This independent study provides an introduction to terminology, theories and research findings related to the development and education of gifted individuals. Topics include the origins, identification and characteristics of giftedness and the relationships of social beliefs, and child-rearing and educational practices leading to the development of talent.
- Critically evaluate literature in the field.
- Integrate and analyze selected literature in the field, or critically evaluate an observed program for gifted/talented individuals (choice will depend on objectives of individual student).
- Understand major issues, current and historical, related to the development of talent and education of the gifted.
- Understand terminology and the nature and assessment instruments used and provide alternative approaches to classical used assessment techniques.
- Employ the methods and data that historians and social and behavioral scientists use to investigate the human condition.
- Examine social institutions and processes across a range of historical periods and cultures.
- Use and critique alternative explanatory systems or theories.
- Develop and communicate alternative explanations or solutions for contemporary social issues.