This course focuses on a comparative study of traditional, current and culturally-based program models designed for children from birth through eight years of age. Students are introduced to early childhood program models including Reggio Emilia, Head Start, Montessori, cognitively-oriented preschools (High Scope), behavioral approaches to learning (Portage, Distar),even start, early childhood family education, and school readiness.
- Articulate the theoretical basis for the major program models.
- Critically evaluate models in light of contemporary standards of quality.
- Develop a plan for a high quality early childhood program using the best features of the curriculum models.
- Evaluate program quality using a standard assessment tool-ECERS.
- Identify curriculum models for culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
- Identify the key characteristics of the major early childhood program models.
- Summarize the foundational research on the major early childhood curriculum models.