Faculty facilitate the learning of small groups of students assigned to the community learning center field practicum. The field seminar offers students opportunities to integrate social work knowledge, skills and values within a culturally specific context. The seminar is largely experiential and focuses on helping students apply social work theories to real-world settings. Within this group process, students develop a learning contract for the field practicum; share knowledge and experiences in the field practicum; and discuss issues and topics in social work identified within the field setting. Students are expected to share thoughts and feelings on adjusting to a professional role; and they are expected to share their awareness of human diversity as it relates to the social work profession.
Note: The instructor arranges schedules and student placements. SOWK 381 to be taken concurrently with SOWK 351 and SOWK 391.
1-3 Undergraduate credits
Effective August 1, 1998 to present
Meets graduation requirements for
- Apply human behavior theories to generalist practice with client systems.
- Apply practice evaluation principles to their own generalist practice in the field.
- Apply the problem solving process, including assessment, contracting, planning, intervention, termination and evaluation for individuals, families and groups.
- Articulate their awareness in relation to human diversity.
- Articulate their awareness of their adjustment to the professional role
- Identify critical organizational, community and practice issues facing the host field agency.
- Present case examples from their experience with client systems and use the feedback of their instructors and peers to evaluate their practice.
|01||Community Learning Center Seminar||Xiong, Leng Vang-Thao, Mee||Books for SOWK-381-01 Spring 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-01 Spring 2023|
|02||Community Learning Center Seminar||Izaksonas, Elena||Books for SOWK-381-02 Spring 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-02 Spring 2023|
|03||Community Learning Center Seminar||Metcalf, Nicholas Richard||Books for SOWK-381-03 Spring 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-03 Spring 2023|
|04||Community Learning Center Seminar||Rogers, Michelle L.||Books for SOWK-381-04 Spring 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-04 Spring 2023|
|01||Community Learning Center Seminar||Thao, Neal Cheng X||Books for SOWK-381-01 Summer 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-01 Summer 2023|
|02||Community Learning Center Seminar||Davila-Williams, Sonia||Books for SOWK-381-02 Summer 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-02 Summer 2023|
|03||Community Learning Center Seminar||Metcalf, Nicholas Richard||Books for SOWK-381-03 Summer 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-03 Summer 2023|
|04||Community Learning Center Seminar||O'Connor, Robert L.||Books for SOWK-381-04 Summer 2023||Course details for SOWK-381-04 Summer 2023|