This advanced workshop will give students exposure to the statistical and non-statistical issues that arise in statistical problem solving, and provide an experiential background in statistical consulting. Students will develop the knowledge, skills, and professional rapport necessary to interact with clients, including the skills necessary for communicating technical statistical content with non-statisticians.
- Understand a client's statement of a problem and communicate with the client for clarification.
- Identify the appropriate statistical techniques for authentic client projects and solve their problem.
- Recognize situations in which familiar techniques do not apply and research possible alternative techniques.
- Enhance critical thinking skills through self-reflection and peer assessment.
- Improve ability to work cooperatively as a team member.
- Write reports at an appropriate statistical level for a client.
- Present a statistical investigation at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Discuss the ethical aspects and implications of professional statistical work.