This advanced workshop will give students exposure to the statistical and non-statistical issues that arise in statistical problem solving, and provide an experiential background in statistical consulting. Students will develop the knowledge, skills, and professional rapport necessary to interact with clients, including the skills necessary for communicating technical statistical content with non-statisticians.
Note: For Business Analytics Minors, STAT480 Statistical Consulting can be taken concurrently with MIS 480 Predictive Analytics if the prerequisites are not met. Students whose prerequisites are not identified by the system would contact the Math and Statistics Department for an override at MATH@metrostate.edu.
4 Undergraduate credits
Effective January 8, 2018 to present
- Understand a client's statement of a problem and communicate with the client for clarification.
- Identify the appropriate statistical techniques for authentic client projects and solve their problem.
- Recognize situations in which familiar techniques do not apply and research possible alternative techniques.
- Enhance critical thinking skills through self-reflection and peer assessment.
- Improve ability to work cooperatively as a team member.
- Write reports at an appropriate statistical level for a client.
- Present a statistical investigation at a level appropriate for the audience.
- Discuss the ethical aspects and implications of professional statistical work.