Students in many academic and professional contexts are asked to cite sources according to APA (American Psychological Association) guidelines as they write and conduct research. This course will provide an introduction to APA documentation methods and give students opportunities to practice creating and revising APA narrative citations, parenthetical citations, and reference lists. Students will also explore the elements of an APA-formatted manuscript and practice organizing APA documents.
- Locate and identify the necessary information from a source to properly format a reference list entry and citation.
- Format reference list entries for print and electronic sources, including books, journal articles, and web pages, according to APA guidelines.
- Identify and revise APA errors in basic reference list entries and citations.
- Format narrative and parenthetical citations according to APA guidelines.
- Format the elements of a manuscript according to APA guidelines.
- Employ citation frequency knowledge to recognize and avoid plagiarism.
- Explain how APA documentation practices contribute to research and scholarship in specific disciplines.
- Explain how particular documentation practices can reinforce cultural inequity.