The faculty, administration and staff of the College of Individualized Studies believe that the educational process is a two-way street. We have promises to keep in our work with students; in turn, students have obligations to us as they pursue their educations.
We have made these promises explicit so that the College of Individualized Studies and its students can work together in a well-defined, positive relationship.
Pledge to students
- a friendly and supportive, yet challenging, environment in which you can develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes that exemplify an educated person and which are necessary for lifelong learning; teaching that encourages serious inquiry and reflection focused on the connections between learning and responsible citizenship, success in a career, and growth as an individual;
- excellent teachers and academic advisors who respect your previous learning and life/work experiences and inspire you to high levels of academic achievement; and
- responsible teachers and academic advisors, who provide timely responses to assignments, return phone calls and make appropriate referrals to better support you.
Expectations of students
- take full advantage of the educational opportunities offered through the College of Individualized Studies and Metropolitan State and make use of the assistance offered by faculty, advisors and staff;
- seriously reflect on the ideal of an educated person and student-centered education throughout the degree planning process, your studies and when meeting with advisors;
- think and act on your educational experience in a mature and responsible manner, both in the classroom and in interactions with faculty and staff; read the university Catalog and Student Handbook, and prepare for your advisor appointments; and
- if you're considering changing your degree plan, contact your assigned advisor in advance.