College of Individualized Studies
The College of Individualized Studies is designed for learners who want more than a traditional higher educational experience. In life, many of us desire the opportunity to choose the path we take. Our individualized degree programs are based on your needs and your dreams. It offers you the possibility of organizing your learning experiences into a meaningful degree plan which reflects those needs and dreams.
Interested in taking the lead on your own educational journey? Ready to design and complete a high-quality degree that values your academic and life-long learning? The College of Individualized Studies empowers you to create your own educational plan, believes in your capacity to succeed, and collaborates with you to determine the best options for your educational path. In centering the diversity of the student experience, we prepare you to succeed while also addressing equity and inclusion on individual and institutional levels.
With a degree in Individualized Studies, you can prepare for a career catered to the curriculum you pursue and the skills you develop while at Metro State. Jobs you can get with an individualized studies degree vary, based in part on your own self-designed curriculum. Your laser-focused approach to higher learning will give you a competitive edge in the workforce.
- Discover a wide variety of majors and minors to help you address the educational questions you want to answer
- Enroll in expertly-taught courses covering much of the material needed to fulfill your general education requirements
- Work with resident and community faculty with a proven record of excellence in teaching, research, and professional contexts
The College of Individualized Studies empowers adult students to design and complete high-quality degrees that value their academic and life-long learning.
The College of Individualized Studies is the place where students of diverse backgrounds can get an innovative, dynamic degree recognizing all life-long learning by:
- Empowering students to create their own degree plan
- Being a national leader in credit for prior learning
- Collaborating with other Minnesota State institutions and community partners
- Offering transfer pathway options for community and technical colleges
- Social Change and Anti-Racism: We address equity and inclusion at individual and institutional levels
- Student-Centered Advocacy: We nurture self-efficacy through personalized advising and mentoring
- Innovation and Creativity: We are deeply committed to helping students gain authority over their own education by developing their individualized degree pathway
- Trust and Transparency: We believe that our students have the capacity to succeed and we collaborate with them to find the best educational options
- Compassion and Respect: We recognize the diversity of student experiences and challenges and support them for success in their educational journey
Interested in Completing a Degree in Individualized Studies?
Established in 1971, Metro State is a member of the Minnesota State higher education system. Our faculty and staff provide a safe, diverse atmosphere where you will be free to design your own curriculum to pursue higher learning. We help students achieve academic, professional, and personal success by providing culturally enriching experiences, advocacy, and unique extracurricular activities.
A message from the dean of the College of Individualized Studies.
Alternatives to classroom learning, and opportunities to get credit for what you know and learn through student-directed learning.
The pledge to students from the College of Individualized Studies and the student's responsibilities.
Learn more about internship guidelines for the College of Individualized Studies.