College of Individualized Studies
The College of Individualized Studies is designed for learners who want more than a traditional higher educational experience. In life, many of us desire the opportunity to choose the path we take. Our individualized degree programs are based on your needs and your dreams. It offers you the possibility of organizing your learning experiences into a meaningful degree plan which reflects those needs and dreams.
- Discover a wide variety of majors and minors to help you address the educational questions you want to answer
- Enroll in expertly-taught courses covering much of the material needed to fulfill your general education requirements
- Work with resident and community faculty with a proven record of excellence in teaching, research, and professional contexts
The College of Individualized Studies empowers adult students to design and complete high-quality degrees that value their academic and life-long learning.
The College of Individualized Studies is the place where students of diverse backgrounds can get an innovative, dynamic degree recognizing all life-long learning by:
- Empowering students to create their own degree plan
- Being a national leader in credit for prior learning
- Collaborating with other Minnesota State institutions and community partners
- Offering transfer pathway options for community and technical colleges
- Social Change and Anti-Racism: We address equity and inclusion at individual and institutional levels
- Student Centered Advocacy: We nurture self-efficacy through personalized advising and mentoring
- Innovation and Creativity: We are deeply committed to helping students gain authority over their own education by developing their individualized degree pathway
- Trust and Transparency: We believe that our students have the capacity to succeed and we collaborate with them to find the best educational options
- Compassion and Respect: We recognize the diversity of student experiences and challenges and support them for success in their educational journey
A message from the dean of the College of Individualized Studies.
Alternatives to classroom learning, and opportunities to get credit for what you know and learn through student-directed learning.
The pledge to students from the College of Individualized Studies and the student's responsibilities.
Learn more about internship guidelines for the College of Individualized Studies.