LGBTQ Student Services provides programming, advocacy, support, outreach, information and referrals to educate and empower LGBTQA members of Metropolitan State University. We value all women and LGBTQA people, as well as their varied identities and experiences, and seek to create a university-wide climate that supports and advocates for the diverse needs of these communities.
Through advocacy, educational and social programs, LGBTQA support services are designed to enhance the educational experience of all LGBTQ students and their allies at Metropolitan State. The office serves all members of the Metropolitan State community interested in gaining a better understanding of the LGBTQA community.
- Preferred Name Request Form: Metropolitan State recognizes and supports the members of its community who wish to use preferred names where legally permissible. All you need to do is fill out the Preferred Name Request Form/ Instructions (PDF)
- Metropolitan State has an impressive library collection of books and media about women's and LGBTQA topics. Start with the Library Guides.
- Women's and LGBTQ Student Services
Lavender Bridge: Metropolitan State’s LGBTQA student organization
Lavender Bridge provides a safe, accepting environment for university students through mutual support and informational social activities. Lavender Bridge is an active organization that offers a variety of opportunities for the university’s LGBTQA students, their friends, families and allies. Join us for:
- Minnesota AIDS Walk (May)
- Twin Cities Pride (June)
- National Coming Out Day (October)
- Film screenings
- Panel discussions
- Collaborative events with other student organizations
The Metropolitan State LGBTQ ally training program began in spring 1996 and has trained over 200 students, staff and outside community members to be allies to the LGBTQA community. An ally is a person who works toward combating homophobia, biphobia and heterosexism on both a personal and institutional level. Members of the university community who want to become recognized allies attend a three hour workshop and are provided with ally stickers to display in their offices.
Get updates on national and local LGBTQA news and details about upcoming programs, events and meetings at Metropolitan State featuring a variety of diverse LGBTQA speakers and topics. Email us if you want to be added to the listserv.
Support the LGBTQ and Allies Student Scholarship Fund
Help Metropolitan State deliver quality, accessible and affordable education for all students—make a gift today. Please designate LGBTQ and Allies Program or Scholarship with your gift.