This practicum is designed to give urban teacher candidates the opportunity to document and reflect upon at least 25 hours practical field experience working with ELL students in an urban K and/or elementary school. Urban ESL teacher candidates will have the opportunity to reflectively apply knowledge, theories and skills in learned in coursework. Successful completion of this practicum is a prerequisite for the ESL license.Prerequisites: All ESL Graduate Certificate courses are required, or permission from the course instructor and department chair.
1 Graduate credit
Effective January 9, 2012 to present
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, implement and assess instruction and learning.
- Design well-developed lesson plans.
- Positively affect the learning and achievement of urban K and/or elementary ELL students.
- Document at least 25 hours of active involvement with urban K and/or elementary ELL students.
- Maintain a reflective journal about all practicum experiences.
- Develop an electronic portfolio throughout the practicum experience.
- Demonstrate professional work habits as an ESL teacher.
- Articulate professional development based on experiences through a final reflection paper.