This practicum is designed to give urban ESL teacher candidates the opportunity to document and reflect upon at least 25 hours practical field experience working with ELL students in an urban middle school. Urban ESL teacher candidates will have the opportunity to reflectively apply knowledge, theories and skills in learned in coursework. Successful completion of this practicum is a prerequisite for the ESL license.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, implement and assess instruction and learning.
- Design well-developed lesson plans.
- Positively affect the learning and achievement of urban middle school ELL students.
- Document at least 25 hours of active involvement with urban middle school ELL students.
- Maintain a reflective journal about all practicum experiences.
- Develop an electronic portfolio throughout the practicum experience.
- Demonstrate professional work habits as an ESL teacher.
- Articulate professional development based on experiences through a final reflection paper.