This course provides an overview of financial markets and institutions. Topics include the workings of various financial markets, the functions of different types of financial institutions, and the regulatory framework for the financial sector. The course concludes with an introduction to the types of risks faced by institutions and the basic tools and concepts to manage these risks. Further, the course will include topics of current interest.
- Discuss the main functions performed by financial markets and the key role played by financial intermediaries.
- Analyze the main features and characteristics of various financial markets such as the bond market, stock market, money market, foreign exchange market and derivatives markets.
- Compare and contrast different types of financial institutions with respect to functions, products and services.
- Analyze the key risks faced by financial services firms and describe financial instruments and basic techniques used to manage these risks.
- Analyze the need for regulation of the financial sector, understand the basic regulatory framework and the pros and cons of recent regulatory reforms.