Epidemiology in Nursing
Prerequisite: Admitted to the MANE-BSN program; NURS 361 AND NURS 362 AND NURS 364 OR equivalent.
Corequisites: NURS 406.
This course examines the scientific principles and the conceptual framework of epidemiology. Students interpret scientific research as it pertains to health and disease at the population level. Students gain an understanding of epidemiology as the science of public health nursing by examining the range of health issues.
- Explain the conceptual foundations of epidemiology as it relates to public health nursing.
- Discuss basic principles of surveillance and strategies for case finding within the scope of professional nursing.
- Explain strengths and limitations of commonly used epidemiological data.
- Apply measure of health and disease in analyzing populations at risk.
- Recognize types and limitations of basic study designs.
- Evaluate various epidemiological study designs used in advancing public health nursing.