Enrolling in this program
Minimum Admission Requirements
Applicants must demonstrate evidence of readiness for graduate study including an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution (or foreign credential equivalency) with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).
Applicants with competence-based transcripts and no calculated GPA will be considered.
The Adult Education Certificate is designed to meet the needs of a diverse student population. We therefore strongly encourage a diversity of candidates to apply to this program in order to reflect the learners engaged in the various adult education setting throughout our communities.
Admission is not guaranteed.
June 30 – Fall semester
December 6 – Spring semester
April 30 – Summer semester
Applications received by the deadline will be reviewed and a decision will be provided to each applicant within a month after the deadline. Note: we will continue to accept applications beyond the deadline, however we cannot guarantee admission for applications that are received too close to the semester start date. In such a case, we will defer admission to the next available semester. Incomplete applications will carry over to the next available semester, for no more than three consecutive semesters.
Although admission is based on meeting a number of qualifying criteria, detailed below, there are only a limited number of seats available every semester. If you meet the criteria but are not admitted due to limited space, you may be granted deferred admission.
Since this certificate takes place online, international students may complete the courses without needing to be in the US. However, since one of the required courses is a fieldwork, international students will need to enter into an agreement with the program director, to identify a suitable substitute fieldwork. Further, international students must meet the admission criteria and present evidence of language proficiency. We accept TOEFL scores of at least 550 (PBT) or 213 (CBT) or 80 (IBT) and IELTS scores of at least 6.0. Applications from international students studying on an F-1 student visa will not be accepted, as this is not a degree-granting program.
A complete application file consists of two parts. Begin the application process by first applying online using the online application portal. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned. All application materials must be received by the Graduate Studies Office by the application deadline.
Your application will be considered only if your application is complete. Note that if you are completing a four-year program you may apply to this graduate certificate if you are in your final year; however, you cannot begin this graduate certificate program until you have finished your bachelor's degree.
- Complete the Online Graduate Programs Application, using your Minnesota State StarID. If you don’t have a Minnesota State StarID you will create on at the beginning of the application.
- If you don't have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN), please follow the No SSN instruction to activate your StarID. If you encounter difficulty with the online application, please email email@example.com.
- Non-refundable application fee, paid online
- The current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State, certified veterans and active military.
- Official transcripts
- Must show a bachelor degree or equivalent earned from a regionally accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed.
- Transcripts from ALL schools attended after high school and from any graduate or professional programs are required.
- All transcripts from non-US schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- Electronic transcripts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paper transcripts should be sent directly from the sending institution (preferred) to:
Metropolitan State University
Attn: Graduate Admissions
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul MN 55106
After you have submitted your online application, log in to the Applicant Portal using your Star ID and password to upload application materials, and check on the status of your application. The Applicant Portal will indicate any missing application items.
- One professional letter of recommendation: submit reference contact information using the online application. If you face issues submitting your recommendation letter through the online application portal, please have your recommendation letter email to: email@example.com.
- The most effective letters may be from professors familiar with your work in upper- division courses, and able to comment on your preparation for advanced study. A recommendation letter from a close supervisor is also acceptable.
- Personal references will not be considered. Applicants should remind their references of the application deadline when speaking with them.
- Once submitted, references will receive a "no reply" email from Minnesota State with a link to the recommendation form.
- References should check junk mail if the email is not in their inbox. The link is good for 60 days; however, the application deadline may be sooner.
- A 2-page letter of interest, to be uploaded via the Applicant Portal using your StarID.
- Your letter of interest will serve as both a goals statement and a writing assessment. Submit your letter of interest, using 12-point font, double-spaced, clearly written, well-organized, with correct grammar, accurate spelling and punctuation, good sentence structure, and clear sub-headings. Make sure that you carefully address each of the following:
- Pledge of Authorship: Please begin your admissions essay with the following statement: (Your essay will not be accepted if this is not included.) I, (complete name), verify that this admissions essay is my own work, and I am fully aware that discovery otherwise will invalidate my entire application.
- Why you are interested in the Adult Education Certificate.
- How do you feel your previous experiences, academic or otherwise, have prepared you for this program?
- If you have taught in adult education settings, in the workplace, community, please make sure to include that.
- What skills and knowledge do you expect to gain through this program?
Questions about the online application, fee, transcripts/transcript evaluations, online references and document upload feature can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or call 651-793-1302.
For questions about Part Two requirements or the program in general, please contact Prof. Daniel Woldeab, Director of the Certificate Program, at email@example.com (preferred) or call 612-793-1781.
262 St. John’s Hall
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul, MN 55106-5000