Skip to main content

Counseling Services

Please stop by our office, call, email, or go to our online portal to schedule an appointment.

Services Provided:

  • Individual Counseling
  • Consultation
  • Case Management
  • Psychological Assessment
  • Telepsychiatry Services
  • Academic Skill Development

Common Concerns:

  • Anxiety and Depression
  • Interpersonal Relationships
  • Academic Concerns
  • Stress & Time Management
  • Grief and Loss
  • Trauma

Students can still receive care and support via:

  • Metro CARES (our 24/7/365 support line)
  • United Way 211
  • Limited case management

Information about each of these can be found below. You can also find additional resources and support via Metro State by selecting this link. Attached you will also find a crisis support handout you may reference, created by a member of our counseling center.

Note: For academic concerns, please contact your advisor. For career counseling, please contact the career center.

Metro CARES Support Line

We care about our students, and our support line remains available 24/7/365 by calling 651-793-1568 and pressing option 0. Students can call for help with concerns of anxiety, depression, stress management, relationship concerns, thoughts of suicide, and more. If you need somebody to help, we are here to do that. When students call, they will be connected directly to a clinician who can provide immediate care for crisis intervention, stabilization, and/or coordination services.

United Way 211

Also, Metropolitan State University and Minnesota State have partnered with United Way 211 to establish a statewide basic needs resource hub. The basic needs resource hub provides Metro State students access to basic needs resources and support available on campus and in the community via phone, text, or chat 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

United Way 211 provides free and confidential health and human services information. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to connect you with the resources and information you need. If you’re looking for information about services available in your community for you or a loved one, they can help.

Text MNHELP to 898.211(TXT211) or call 211 (toll free at 1.800.543.7709) to speak with one of their highly trained information and referral specialists. Your call is completely confidential, and they have call menus in English, Spanish, and Hmong. Interpreters are also available for any language.

Visit the 211 website by selecting this link to learn more or to explore resources and support that may be available. You can select “Mental Health” under the header “I am looking for…” There are options for counseling services, settings, crisis intervention, mental health evaluation, psychiatric services, supportive therapies, and more. When you do this, you can expect to find valuable resources and/or connect with an individual from United Way 211 to connect you appropriately and provide services.

Case Management

Students who may not be certain what support they need and/or where to get that support may work with a designated employee on campus to get connected. This may include a referral to a community provider, connections for things like food or housing insecurity, and other appropriate resources at the university or in our nearby communities. This is not ongoing care, yet students can be connected to a dedicated person with whom you can connect to ask questions. Students may call 651.793.1568 or email for assistance, including a list of current resources.

Meet our staff