This course covers molecular biology, the study of genetic expression at the molecular level-including transcription, translation, and DNA replication emphasizing structure and function, and focusing on how molecular lab techniques elucidate the genetic mechanisms of the cell. Lab includes recombinant DNA, gel electrophoresis, PCR and sterile technique. Intended for biology majors.
- Design, propose, conduct, interpret, and present the results of an independent laboratory or field experiment in this subject area.
- Explain and apply scientific knowledge in molecular biology, both theoretical and experimental, at the upper division level.
- Read and interpret primary scientific literature in molecular biology.
- Recall, explain and apply the concepts, knowledge and vocabulary of molecular biology at the level necessary for success in graduate study in this field.
- Apply this experience with research methods in molecular biology at the level necessary for success in senior undergraduate research.
- Demonstrate quantitative reasoning skills and competency with arithmetic, algebra, and statistics at a level appropriate for graduates of a bachelor's degree program in biology.