About this program
The biology minor offers students a strong foundation in modern biological science to complement their major. The minor includes coursework in biology, chemistry and mathematics, with one semester of advanced study in an area of student interest.
Students will be able to:
- Read, analyze, present and interpret quantitative data. More specifically, students will be able to:
- Read and interpret a graph
- Construct a graph from quantitative data
- Evaluate the results of a statistical test presented in terms of sample size and p-value
- Demonstrate competence in general chemistry. More specifically, students will be able to:
- Identify ionic and covalent compounds utilizing the periodic table.
- Summarize system energy before, during, and after a given system perturbation.
- Analyze common reaction types for a given system.
- Demonstrate competence in general biology. More specifically, students will be able to:
- Apply the principles of Hardy-Weinberg analysis to population genetics data
- Apply the principles of exponential growth to population data
- Apply the principle of structure-function to organismal traits
- Create a phylogenetic diagram given a set of character data