Skip to main content

Visiting student status was designed for individuals who are not seeking a degree at Metropolitan State University, but wish to take classes for personal enrichment or professional development.

These classes can be taken on a part-time or a full-time basis and also include on- campus and on-line courses offered by Metropolitan State University. International students on F-1 student visa can only take one on-line course per semester.

  • Undergraduate visiting students - If you wish to take undergraduate classes on-campus, on either a part-time or a full-time basis, but are not seeking a degree at Metropolitan State University, you should apply as a visiting undergraduate student.
  • Graduate visiting students - If you wish to take graduate classes on campus, on either a part-time or a full-time basis, but are not seeking a graduate degree at Metropolitan State University, you should apply as a visiting graduate student.

Visiting international student admissions requirements

If English is not your first language

You need to show that you have met the university's minimum English proficiency requirements before taking classes. This can be done by submitting one of the following items:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) /
    • A score of 61 on the Internet-Based Test (IBT), score of 173 on Computer-Based Test (CBT), or 500 on the Paper-Based Test (PBT) is required.
    • Official scores should be reported directly to Metropolitan State University by the testing agency. Metro State's reporting code is 6445. (Photocopies are not accepted.)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    • An overall band score of 6.0 is required.
    • Scores should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions by the testing center where you took the IELTS. (Photocopies are not accepted.)

Students who have taken English courses at a United States institution may apply to waive the requirements listed above.

If you are currently enrolled in high school

To be considered for admission, you must submit the following documents:

  • International visiting student admission application
  • application fee, and
  • an official high school transcript

If you have attended another college or university

You are eligible to apply for admission if you have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in all college-level courses. If you have completed fewer than 16 credits, you must also meet the requirements listed above for high school graduates. You do not need to send your previous college transcripts. You may be asked to document that you have met specific course prerequisites.

International Applicants Require an F-1 Student Visa

If you intend to apply for apply for an F-1 student visa and you need F-1 visa eligibility form (Form I-20) from Metropolitan State University, you must submit

  • official academic transcripts from the last school you attended
  • proof of sufficient financial resources to cover your tuition and living expenses for full-time study for the duration of your stay.
    • This is necessary to meet U.S. government requirements in issuing the visa eligibility form (I-20). (International students at other U.S. universities who want to take courses only do not need a visa eligibility form from Metro State.)

Nonimmigrants on other visas should check with an international student adviser in the International Student Services Office for information regarding restrictions that may apply under their visa status.

Submit your documents and application

All documents and application must be submitted to the International Student Services Office prior to registering for classes. Send completed application and information to:

International Student Services Office
700 E Seventh St
St Paul, MN 55106

  1. Apply for undergraduate admission

    There is no formal admissions deadline.

  2. Submit your transcripts

    Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an accredited agency, such as Educational Credential Evaluators Inc. (ECE). The type of evaluation report should be general for students who have only a high school diploma, and a course-by-course report for students who have earned credits beyond high school. The report must show the equivalence of a U.S. GPA of at least a 3.0. We will not accept student or fax copies. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Admissions Office.

    It often takes six to eight weeks to receive a report, so it is important to send transcripts well in advance so that the report is received by the application deadline date. Metropolitan State University is not responsible for any delays in receiving the reports.

  3. Submit other necessary application materials

    In addition to your transcripts, international students must also provide the following information:

    • Proof of English proficiency.
      • Official TOEFL scores must be submitted; student copies are not acceptable.
      • Metropolitan State University's school code for TOEFL is 6445.
      • TOEFL minimum scores for admission are 500 on paper test, 173 on computer-based exam, 61 on internet-based exam.
      • You can also submit your official IELTS score. You must achieve a 6 or higher.
    • Photocopy of passport (picture page, page with expiration date)
    • Photocopy, if available, of visa page and I-94, clearly indicating the port of entry
    • International home address and phone numbers—if you only have a P.O. box, more information is needed (i.e., street name, house number or section of town or rural areas)
  4. Learn about Metro State's International Student Services

    ISS can help you with:

    • International admission paper processing and policy information dissemination
    • New international student orientation
    • Immigration advising related to F-1 status
    • Advising for on-campus and off-campus employment and work authorization
    • Interaction with faculty and other support services units including the Registrar's Office and the Admissions Office
    • Referrals to student support services, such as the Career Center, Student Counseling Services, English as a Student Second Language Office, and Women's and LGBTQIA+ Services.
    • Learning about educational, social and cultural events involving international students
  5. Plan for your first tuition payment