Program eligibility requirements
MAPL accepts new cohorts each fall and spring semester and limits the number of students in each new cohort to approximately 20. To be eligible for admission to the program, all candidates must have:
- A four-year Bachelor's degree with a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. (Exception: Applicants may be accepted in MAPL with grade point averages below 3.0 as long as they have accomplished significant community-oriented service activity.)
- Accomplished at least some community-oriented extracurricular activity, whether in service with a nonprofit, serving community needs directly, or in politics and political organizations.
August 1 – Fall Semester
December 15 – Spring Semester
May 1 – Summer Term
After the term deadlines, applications will be accepted if there are still seats available in the cohort. If the cohort is full, admission can be deferred to the next available semester.
Applications are not complete until all requirements are met and fee received. Please allow 10–12 business days for review once all required application materials are received and sent to the College of Community Studies and Public Affairs Graduate Admissions Committee.
All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned.
To be considered for full admission you must submit all parts of the application packet:
- Complete the Online Graduate Programs Application. You will use your Minnesota State StarID to complete the application. If you don't have a Minnesota State StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application. If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-refundable application fee
- Current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State.
- Official transcripts
- Official transcripts showing a baccalaureate degree or equivalent earned from an accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed from all schools attended after high school and transcripts from any graduate or professional programs.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- The equivalent of a baccalaureate degree is required for all graduate programs.
- Electronic transcripts (preferred) should be sent to email@example.com.
- Paper transcripts should be sent directly from the sending institution to:
Metropolitan State University
Office of Admissions
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul, MN 55106
After you have submitted your online application, log in to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password to upload application materials and check on the status of your application. The Applicant Portal will indicate missing application items.
- Two distinct reference letters from two people who can speak to your potential and experiences. Select from two of the three categories:
- Faculty member (if you have been in school in the past three years we highly value an academic evaluation)
- Peer or colleague
- Note: Personal references, including family, are not accepted.
- A word-processed paper (double-spaced and approximately two to three pages) explaining "Why the Master's Degree Would Help Me Achieve My Professional Goals," with specific reference to the program. Describe significant achievements, planned career, and community or personal activities, including what you can contribute to the program as well as what you hope to get out of the MAPL program.
- Current Resumé
- Describe all community-oriented extracurricular activities in which you have been involved, including service with a nonprofit, serving community needs directly, and/or activity in politics, political organizations, and student government.
Part three - international students only
In addition to parts one and two, international applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university.
- Proof of English proficiency (official TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 213 CBT, 550 PBT, IELTS 6.5, or Duolingo 105-110
- IBT=internet based; CBT=computer based; PBT=paper based
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Questions about applying to the MAPL program?
For questions about applying to the MAPL program, email firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or call 651-793-1302.