Program eligibility requirements
- Earned Bachelor’s or Entry-Level Master’s degree in Nursing at time of application – if your degree is in progress, please contact the program advisor to petition
- Evidence of current unencumbered RN licensure in one state with eligibility for licensure in Minnesota
- 2,080 hours of registered nurse experience at time of application
- 3.0 cumulative GPA across all previous post-secondary and degrees, including any courses completed that did not lead directly to a completed degree.
If accepted into the DNP program, students are required to complete a statistics course prior to program start. For the BSN-DNP track, the requirement is any college level statistics course (upper or lower division) completed with a grade of B or better. For the ELMSN-DNP track, the requirement is an approved graduate level statistics course completed within the previous 5 years with a grade of B or better. For more information about statistics, contact Nina Exley at email@example.com.
The Family Nurse Practitioner DNP program is using NursingCAS for processing applications. To begin the application process go to https://nursingcas.liaisoncas.org/apply/. Select the term you are seeking admission for and click apply. Create or log into your account, then select the Metropolitan State University DNP-Family Nurse Practitioner program. Carefully review all instructions and complete the four sections of the application.
Applications must be verified by 11:59 p.m. ET on the deadline date. Applications received by November 1 will received priority admission. Application deadline date is February 1. Applications received after February 1 and before June 1 will be reviewed on a space available basis.
Applications can only be verified once all payments, transcripts, and letters of evaluation have been received. To ensure your application is verified on time, try to complete your application at least four weeks before the deadline.
- Complete the NursingCAS Application
- Request that official transcripts from all US institutions attended be sent to NursingCAS
- Upload a personal essay statement in the Documents section of NursingCAS (see details in this section for essay questions)
- Request 1 letter of recommendation be sent through the NursingCAS recommender portal
- Upload verification of hours worked as a RN in Document section
- Upload RN License Verification
- Answer Supplemental Questions
Statistics completion: Students are required to complete a statistics course prior to program start. For the BSN-DNP track, the requirement is any college level statistics course (upper or lower division). For the ELMSN-DNP track, the requirement is an approved graduate level statistics course. For more information about statistics, contact Nina Exley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The ELMSN-DNP track is designed for graduates from Metropolitan State University's ELMSN program.
*Non-Metro ELMSN or MSN applicants: You will need to meet with the program coordinator upon admission to determine plan of study and petition applicable courses.
International Applicants: Request that official evaluations of transcripts from all foreign institutions be sent to NursingCAS as follows:
- Use the World Education Services (WES) link in the Academic History section of the application to order your official WES evaluation or
- Use the “Download Evaluation Request Form” in the Academic History section of the application to request an evaluation from an evaluation service other than WES
Note: If requirements are different for international students, you may want to consider a separate designation for that population or consider conditional questions.
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
o Admissions requirements/profile
o 3.0 GPA or higher
o Bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited university
o 2080 minimum hours worked as RN
o Committed to Metropolitan State University Mission and Vision
Questions about application requirements, or the DNP/FNP program in general, can be sent to Nina Exley at email@example.com.