Program eligibility requirements
Admission Requirements (Doctor of Nursing Practice: Nurse Anesthesia)
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program must meet the admission requirements of Metropolitan State University-College of Nursing and Health Sciences in partnership with the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia.
- Complete an application file by August 31 through NursingCAS. A completed Metro State/MSA supplementary application with an application fee ($125) must also be received prior to the application deadline.
- Graduate from High School (or possess GED).
- Possess an appropriate baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Degrees must be completed and final transcripts submitted through NursingCAS prior to matriculation. Appropriate degrees include:
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
- Master's degree in Nursing
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater.
- Possess an unencumbered license as a registered professional nurse and/or APRN in the United States.
- Prior to the application deadline, complete one year (1 FTE) of nursing experience in a critical care setting within the last three years. (Operating room, emergency room, post-anesthesia recovery and ground/flight transport nursing experience DO NOT fulfill this requirement.)
- Complete an upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level chemistry course from a regionally accredited institution within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying – avoid introductory chemistry courses. (Example: For Summer 2024 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Summer semester 2019 or after).
- Upper or lower division statistics course completed with a grade of B or better. Prerequisite must be completed before Summer program start.
- Possess American Heart Association basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) recognition. Maintain BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition through graduation. (see note below)
- Complete the interview process.
- Complete a physical examination (if accepted).
Application Procedures for Summer 2024 DNP Cohort:
The DNP application for matriculation in Summer 2024 will open August 11, 2022. If you are interested in applying for the DNP 2024 cohort, please follow the application process in NursingCAS for the DNP Summer 2024 application. The deadline for this application is August 31, 2023.
In addition to the NursingCAS application, please complete the following supplemental application -2024 Supplemental Application- and mail with $125 check to Minneapolis School of Anesthesia, 1000 County Road E West, #230, Shoreview, MN 55126. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure the supplemental application and application fee have been received by the school prior to the deadline. NursingCAS applications will not be reviewed by the Admission Committee without a corresponding supplemental application and fee. Failure of delivery of the supplemental application and supplemental fee to the school by any postal service is not the fault of the school and will not be taken into consideration after the deadline.
Your NursingCAS application must be verified and we must be in receipt of your supplementary application (above) and supplementary application fee prior to the application deadline. Please understand that it can take NursingCAS up to four weeks to verify an application – plan your application accordingly. Your application will not be considered if it is not verified by the deadline – NO EXCEPTIONS
ALTHOUGH THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT REQUIRED TO APPLY, THEY ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO MATRICULATION:
BLS, ACLS and PALS Recognition. A current copy of American Heart Association BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition must be on file with the school.
Chem Requirement: We recommend that you stay away from introductory courses and look for upper-level undergraduate or graduate courses. It can be fully online and does not need to have a lab. This requirement is required to be completed for all accepted applicants with an official transcript sent to either Nursing CAS during the application cycle or directly to the school if completed between the application deadline and the first day of class.
If accepted, a physical examination and vaccination titers will need to be completed by the applicant’s personal health care provider at the applicant’s expense. The form will be furnished by MSA and titers must be sent back to the school with the completed physical form.
Metro State University is participating in the common application for graduate programs (NursingCAS). Applications are only accepted via the CAS website.
- Select the term for which you are seeking admission (below), and navigate to the CAS website. Open applications include:
- Create or log in to your account and select the Doctor of Nursing Practice, Nurse Anesthesia (DNP) program.
- Carefully review all instructions and complete all four sections of the application.
Specific application requirements for individual programs can be found on each program page in CAS. Carefully read the instructions that appear throughout the application pages. You can only submit your application once. If you need to update information you have submitted, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org
A nonrefundable $80 fee is required for each application. Applications will not be processed until this fee is received.
Active-duty military, veterans, and Metro State alumni can receive an application fee waiver. Contact email@example.com.