Program eligibility requirements
Admission Requirements (Doctor of Nursing Practice: Nurse Anesthesia)
Applicants seeking admission to the graduate program must meet the admission requirements of Metropolitan State University-College of Nursing and Health Sciences in partnership with the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia.
- Complete an application file by April 30, through NursingCAS. A completed Metro State/MSA supplementary application with an application fee ($125) must also be received prior to the application deadline.
- Graduate from High School (or possess GED).
- Possess an appropriate baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Degrees must be completed and final transcripts submitted through NursingCAS prior to matriculation. Appropriate degrees include:
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
- Master's degree in Nursing
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater.
- Possess an unencumbered license as a registered professional nurse and/or APRN in the United States.
- Prior to the application deadline, complete one year (1 FTE) of nursing experience in a critical care setting within the last three years. (Operating room, emergency room, post-anesthesia recovery and ground/flight transport nursing experience DO NOT fulfill this requirement.)
- Complete an upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level chemistry course from a regionally accredited institution within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying – avoid introductory chemistry courses. (Example: For Spring 2024 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Spring semester 2019 or after).
- A graduate-level statistics course will be required prior to matriculation to those accepted into any DNP cohort – information about this will be provided to those granted admission to the program.
- Possess American Heart Association basic cardiac life support (BLS), advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) recognition. Maintain BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition through graduation. (see note below)
- Complete the interview process.
- Complete a physical examination.
Application Procedures for Spring 2024 DNP Cohort:
The DNP application for matriculation in Spring 2024 will open August 11, 2022. If you are interested in applying for the DNP 2024 cohort, please follow the application process in NursingCAS for the DNP Spring 2024 application. The deadline for this application is April 30, 2023.
In addition to the NursingCAS application, please complete the following supplemental application – Spring 2024 Supplemental Application – and mail with $125 check to Minneapolis School of Anesthesia, 1000 County Road E West, #230, Shoreview, MN 55126. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure the supplemental application and application fee have been received by the school prior to the deadline. NursingCAS applications will not be reviewed by the Admission Committee without a corresponding supplemental application and fee. Failure of delivery of the supplemental application and supplemental fee to the school by any postal service is not the fault of the school and will not be taken into consideration after the deadline.
Your NursingCAS application must be verified and we must be in receipt of your supplementary application (above) and supplementary application fee prior to the application deadline. Please understand that it can take NursingCAS up to four weeks to verify an application – plan your application accordingly. Your application will not be considered if it is not verified by the deadline – NO EXCEPTIONS
ALTHOUGH THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT REQUIRED TO APPLY, THEY ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO MATRICULATION:
BLS, ACLS and PALS Recognition. A current copy of American Heart Association BLS, ACLS, and PALS recognition must be on file with the school.
Complete a chemistry course from a regionally accredited college or university within the past five years from the beginning of the semester for which you are applying (Example: For Spring 2024 start date, a chemistry course must be taken Spring semester 2019 or after). The school does not recommend any specific chemistry course to take, however, we recommend that you stay away from introductory courses and look for upper-level undergraduate or graduate courses. It can be fully online and does not need to have a lab. This requirement is required to be completed for all accepted applicants with an official transcript sent to either Nursing CAS during the application cycle or directly to the school if completed between the application deadline and the first day of class.
A graduate-level statistics course will be required prior to matriculation to those accepted into any DNP cohort – information about this will be provided to those granted admission to the program.
If accepted, a physical examination and vaccination titers will need to be completed by the applicant’s personal health care provider at the applicant’s expense. The form will be furnished by the School and titers must be sent back to the school with the completed physical form.
Minneapolis School of Anesthesia, 1000 County Rd. E West, #230, Shoreview, MN 55126
Phone: 952-925-5222 | Fax: 952-925-6004
The Minneapolis School of Anesthesia utilizes NursingCAS for online application processing. Complete an application file by August 31 through NursingCAS. A completed Metro State/MSA supplementary application with an application fee ($125) must also be received prior to the application deadline.
The curriculum for the program is based upon the requirements of the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs. Clinical experience is provided at the member hospitals, where more than 100,000 surgical procedures are performed annually in all specialty areas. Students are supervised and instructed by anesthesiologists and certified registered nurse anesthetist. Each hospital has appointed a clinical coordinator to help manage student clinical experiences. Special experiences include pediatrics and regional anesthesia.
Detailed information on applying to the program may be found on the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia’s website at: http://www.nurseanesthesia.org/
Before applying, prospective students are encouraged to send questions to the Minneapolis School of Anesthesia at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com