The Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) has professional and peer tutors to help students navigate conceptual difficulties and develop their study skills. Our tutors are devoted to helping currently enrolled students achieve their academic goals.
The CAE offers expert tutoring in an evaluation-free setting for Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Finance, Geology, Mathematics, Natural Science, Physics, Statistics, Symbolic Logic and Writing.
Currently enrolled Metropolitan State University students have multiple options to obtain tutoring:
- On-campus, in person at the Center for Academic Excellence (CAE)
- E-tutorial appointment for writing tutorials *
- Phone tutorial appointment for writing tutorials *
- Group/Drop-in appointments available
- ICS Drop in tutoring available Saturdays at LIB130
- MATH & STAT Drop in tutoring available Monday through Thursday at Midway Center Room I
- Write @ the Desk in the Library & Learning Center
- A writing tutor and a librarian are available to assist students and the general public for drop-in help during Reference Desk hours
We are here to help!
To schedule an appointment:
- Give us a call during business hours. A member of our talented front-desk staff will be available to assist students in registering and scheduling an appointment over the phone at (651) 793-1460.
- Send us an email. Students may also send appointment requests to email@example.com. Please provide: your name, StarID, course number, course name, assignment details the student would like help with and desired appointment date(s) & time(s).
- Schedule a tutoring appointment online. Students can schedule a 50-minute face-to-face appointment. Students will need their StarID to register/log-in. The online schedule can be viewed 24/7 at https://metrostate.mywconline.net and displays when tutor(s) are available to assist students with a particular subject.
* Students requesting an e-tutorial or phone tutorial should attach an electronic file of their paper to their WC Online appointment at https://metrostate.mywconline.net or email the file to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing their appointment time and date.
To better serve all students, Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) limits students to one tutorial per day for each class students are currently enrolled in. Students who are 10 minutes late may need to reschedule. CAE reserves the right to place students with another qualified tutor and cancel appointments in extenuating circumstances.
Saint Paul Campus: 700 East 7th Street, St. Paul, MN 55106
- Library and Learning Center
- Room 130
- Jason R. Carter Science Education Center
- Room 122
Midway Center: 450 Energy Park Drive, St. Paul, MN 55108
- East Entrance, lower level,
- Room I
Tutoring available for the following disciplines:
Accounting, Finance and Economics
When should I debit accounts and when should I credit accounts? How do I use a financial calculator? I need help reading these financial statements.
Tutor(s) help students:
- Format journal entries to record financial transactions
- Interpret and adjust supply and demand graphs
- Take step-by-step approaches to understanding problems
Courses our accounting, economics and finance tutor(s) help with:
- ACCT: 210, 311, 312 and 320
- ECON: 201 and 202
- FIN: 390 and 392
- MIS: MIS: 100 & 328
Center for Academic Excellence does not currently offer any tutoring for 400 and 500-level courses in these disciplines.
Information and Computer Science
Why won't my code compile? How do I draw shapes using turtle methods? I need help building this MS Excel spreadsheet.
Courses our computer science tutor(s) assist students with:
- ICS: 140, 141, 225, 232, 240, 311, 325, 340, 365 and 382
- CFS: 264 (limited topics)
What is the point-slope equation? How do I solve this word problem? I need help making StatCrunch work.
The courses our mathematics tutors assist with:
- MATH: 098, 102, 110, 115, 120, 208, 210, 211, 215, 301, 310, 315, 320, 340, 350 and 420
- PHIL: 204
- PSYC: 307, 312 and 343
- STAT: 201, 252, 301, 311, 321, 331, 341, 353 and 621
- NURS: We can also assist nursing students with dosage calculations
What is a mole? How does the Krebs Cycle work? I need help surviving physics.
Courses our science tutors assist with:
- BIOL: 101, 105, 106, 107, 111, 112, 211, 301, 302, 304, 310, 311, 312, 315, 316, 322, 324 and 479
- CHEM: 105, 107, 111, 112, 231, 332, 341 and 351
- GEOL: 110, 118 and 314
- HBIO: 201, 202 and 205
- NURS: 306
- NSCI: 201 and 204
- PHYS: 100, 101, 111, 112, 211, 212 and 351
Currently enrolled students can receive tutoring for writing assignments for all courses, including written assignments in math and science.
How do I cite my sources using APA style? Is my thesis statement concise? I'm not sure how to organize my paper.
Students who receive writing tutorials will:
- Understand assignments and learn how to figure out what to do next
- Build research and citation skills
- Get past writer’s block and develop their paper
Write @ the Desk:
A tutor and a librarian can help with identifying topics, assignments, citations, reading, revision, scholarship essays and all things writing—no appointment needed!
Librarians staff the Reference Desk on the first floor to help with students’ research assignments and problems, information needs, and other questions—no appointment needed.
Write at the Desk hours:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 11 a.m. -1 p.m. & 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
All work students submit to their instructors should always be their own and reflect their own understanding of the material. Our goal is to help students be independent and responsible learners. Our tutors refrain from:
- Completing assignments for students
- Teaching students material similar to an instructor
- Providing advice better left to students’ academic advisor
What is TUTOR.COM?
Students should note that the Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) and tutor.com are separate entities. Tutor.com is a 24/7, offering each student limited hours of commercial tutoring at all colleges and universities in the Minnesota State system.