Program eligibility requirements
The Dental Hygiene Department evaluates applications for evidence of undergraduate scholarship, professional experience, and commitment to the program mission. Class size is limited to six students, and the admission process is competitive.
The following requirements are necessary to be considered for admission to the MSADT program.
- Completed online Graduate Programs Admission Application to Metropolitan State University and paid Application Fee
- Completed baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants whose degrees are from a non-US college or university shall have their degrees evaluated by a credentials evaluation service to determine equivalency to a US baccalaureate degree
- 2,000 hours of clinical dental hygiene experience
- Official Academic Transcripts from all institutions attended after high school including transcript(s) reflecting completion of Bachelor’s degree. This includes credit for prior learning transcripts for Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), International Baccalaureate (IB), etc
- Goals Essay
- Two Professional References
- Evidence of current unencumbered Minnesota dental hygiene license and nitrous oxide and local anesthesia certifications
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (calculated from all college coursework)
- Successful completion of DENH 420 Restorative Functions (4 credits) or documentation of its equivalent
Completion of the prerequisite course does not guarantee entrance into the program. The program has limited enrollment and Metropolitan State reserves the right to determine admissions status.
The application deadline for the Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy cohort beginning in Fall term is May 1. Applications received after the deadline may be considered if space is available. All application items must be submitted electronically through the Applicant Portal.
The selection process is based on cumulative GPA, prerequisite grades, references, applicant essay, interview, and portfolio evaluation. The Department of Dental Hygiene Admission Committee will begin review of completed applications once the application deadline has passed.
Create your Application File by first applying online using the online Graduate Programs Admission Application. Once you've applied online you can login to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password at any time to upload your remaining documents, and check on the status of your application. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned.
- Complete the online Graduate Programs Admission Application.
- You will use your Minnesota State StarID to complete the application.
- If you don't have a Minnesota State StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application.
- If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email email@example.com.
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) please follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee online using the online application. The current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
- At least one transcript must reflect a baccalaureate degree or equivalent earned from an accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed.
- Transcripts are required from all institutions attended including accredited and non-accredited colleges/universities, College in the Schools (CIS) institutions, and institutions where credit was not earned. This also includes credit for prior learning transcripts for Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), International Baccalaureate (IB), etc.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by either ECE (preferred) or WES.
- Electronic transcripts (preferred) sent to graduate studies.
- Paper transcripts sent directly from the sending institution (preferred)
- Upload Goals Essay
- A word-processed, double-spaced narrative of 750-1000 words, with your name at the top of each page. Please address the following:
- Describe the area of dental therapy practice you envision for yourself after completion of the MSADT program.
- Explain how this practice will contribute towards the two goals of our dental therapy mission: to prepare licensed dental hygienists for advanced practice and to enhance the health of underserved and diverse populations.
- Describe and explain life, work, or academic skills, knowledge and/or experience you presently hold that contribute towards these two goals and can be applied in future practice.
- Provide two distinct professional references
- Submit reference contact information in the Applicant Portal.
- Select from two of the three categories:
- A faculty member
- A supervisor/employer
- A professional peer or colleague
- Once the two distinct references have been received in the Graduate Studies Office the remaining reference item listed in the applicant portal will disappear.
- Once submitted, references will receive a "no reply" email from Minnesota State with a link to the recommendation form.
- References should check junk mail if the email is not in their inbox.
- The link is good for 60 days, however, the application deadline may be sooner.
- Applicants should remind their references of the application deadline when speaking with them.
- Upload evidence of unencumbered license
- Evidence of current unencumbered dental hygienist license that meets Minnesota licensure requirements.
- PDF or an image file of your license or state board login page showing unencumbered license.
- showing unencumbered license.
International Students Only
International applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university:
- Proof of English proficiency (official TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 213 CBT, 550 PBT, IELTS 6.5, or Duolingo 105-110
- IBT=internet based; CBT=computer based; PBT=paper based
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Eligible applicants will be invited for an interview as a final step in the application process. Your professional portfolio, which you will present at the interview, will exhibit your efforts and achievements in the following areas:
- Career goals/philosophy statement
- Resume including work/career experience in the field of dental hygiene
- Current dental hygiene license and certifications
- Degrees/Diplomas/Academic accomplishments, awards, and/or recognitions
- Continuing education/professional development and lifelong learning
- Involvement in professional organizations
- Community service and volunteer activities
- Please create an index of the above components for ease of portfolio review
Questions about applying to the Master of Science in Advanced Dental Therapy program?
Admissions questions regarding the online application, fee, transcripts/transcript evaluations, online recommendation form, and document upload feature can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or call 651-793-1302.
Direct other questions to email@example.com (preferred) or call 651-793-1373.