About this program
The Liberal Arts Major (LAM) provides an opportunity for students to pursue an individualized major within the College of Liberal Arts. Through this interdisciplinary, liberal arts program, students customize their degree based on individual interests and educational goals.
The liberal arts major consists of at least 33 upper-division credits for which the student can articulate a rationale of coherence in writing. With the support of an advisor, students will select 32 credits of interdisciplinary work for the core of their LAM program. In addition, students in their final semester will complete a LAM Mentorship, a 1-credit Student Designed Independent Study (SDIS) with a member of the CLA faculty.
Successful LAM majors propose a coherent program with significant advanced-level work that demonstrates mastery of the chosen subject. LAM proposals should not closely resemble an existing degree program within the college. Usually, all LAM credits are in courses offered by the College of Liberal Arts; however, with approval, as many as 8 credits in disciplines outside the college may be included. At least half of the LAM credits must be earned at Metropolitan State University.
- Research Skills: students will be able to effectively locate scholarly and/or creative materials and evaluate, critically and comparatively, their relevance, scope, and credibility.
- Analytical Skills: students will be able to synthesize ideas derived from research with creative and original insights to produce coherent and persuasive treatments of liberal arts issues.
- Communication Skills: students will be able to present a coherent and persuasive argument or expression with clearly organized development and significant conclusions according to the rhetoric of the disciplines involved.
- Individual Goals: students will be able to develop and articulate an individualized, interdisciplinary liberal arts theme.
- Creative Writing Minor
- Design of User Experience Minor
- Digital Media Minor
- English Minor
- Environmental Communication Minor
- Ethnic Studies Minor
- Gender Studies Minor
- History Minor
- Humanities Minor
- Organizational Communication Minor
- Political Science Minor
- Public Relations Minor
- Religious Studies Minor
- Research and Information Studies Minor
- Screenwriting Minor
- Studio Arts Minor
- Technical Communication Minor
- Theater Minor