Enrolling in this program
Program eligibility requirements
Earned Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution with a GPA of 2.75 or higher
United States applicants
April 1 - Summer semester
Priority July 1, Final July 31 - Fall semester
Dec. 1 - Spring semester
No Summer Admissions
May 1 - Fall semester
Sept. 1 - Spring semester
NOTE: Applications are accepted throughout the year, but early applications are encouraged to ensure classes are available.
A complete application file consists of two parts. Begin the application process by first applying online using the online graduate application. Once you've applied online you can log in to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password at any time and upload your remaining documents, submit your references, and check on the status of your application. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned.
- Online Graduate Programs Application. Please note you will need a Minnesota State StarID to complete the application. If you don't have a StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application.
- If you do not have or choose not to provide your Social Security number (SSN) you will need to follow the No SSN instructions to activate your StarID.
- If you encounter difficulty with the online application, email email@example.com
- $20 Non-refundable Application Fee; pay online
- Waived for graduates of Metropolitan State University and for certified veterans and active military.
- Official Transcripts
After you have submitted your online application, log in to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password to upload application materials, and check on the status of your application. The Applicant Portal will indicate missing application items.
Applicants who previously earned full graduate admission to the Urban Teacher Program seeking 5-12 licensure are not required to provide part two documents. All other applicants must submit the following:
- One Professional Reference: submit reference contact information using the online application.
- The reference should be a person familiar with the quality of your work as a student, as a teacher or other work related to diverse youth/communities. Personal references will not be considered. Applicants should remind their references of the application deadline when speaking with them.
- Once submitted, references will receive a "no-reply" email from Minnesota State with a link to the recommendation form. References should check junk mail if the email is not in their inbox.
- The link is good for 60 days, however, the application deadline may be sooner.
- Resume: Upload
- Include work and volunteer experience related to urban education and diverse communities
- Include titles of teaching license(s) earned (if any), state issued, and license number
- Letter of Application: Upload
- Stating which of the following concentrations you are interested in completing and why
- Curriculum, Pedagogy and Schooling (non-licensure)
- English as a Second Language (for additional licensure or non-licensure)
- Special Education (for additional ABS licensure or non-licensure)
- Secondary Education Teacher Preparation (for grades 5-12 licensure to teach English Language Arts, Life Science/General Science, Mathematics, or Social Studies)
- Explaining how the MS-Urban Education would contribute to your professional growth and professional goals or interests, especially in relation to the School of Urban Education's Vision and Mission
- Information about your experience working with culturally and linguistically diverse youth in urban settings and what you have learned from these experiences
- Plan/strategy for completing the master's degree
- Letters of application should be typed with 1.5-2.0 line spacing and a total of 1-2 pages in length. The letter serves as a demonstration of your writing skills and will be judged on both content and professionalism in writing mechanics needed for a master's degree candidate
Part three - international students only
In addition to parts one and two, international applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university.
- Proof of English proficiency (official TOEFL or IELTS score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 213 CBT, 550 PBT or IELTS 6.5
- IBT=internet based; CBT=computer based; PBT=paper based
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details
Questions about applying to the Master of Science in Urban Education?
Questions about the online application, fee, transcripts, references, and document upload feature can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or you can call 651-793-1302.
Questions about Part Two requirements or the program can be sent to the Master of Science in Urban Education Graduate Coordinator Dr. Paul Spies email@example.com.