Enrolling in this program
Program eligibility requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with either:
- a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale), or
- an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 in all Computer Science and Mathematics or related courses, or
- in rare circumstances, a student not meeting requirements (a) or (b) might be considered if their other application materials are stellar (e.g., outstanding recommendations, excellent GRE scores, etc.)
- Evidence that the student's preparation includes work in Computer Science and Mathematics through the level of ICS 240 and MATH 215, through either:
- transcript verified credits in equivalent courses
- letters of recommendation and essay indicating how such competence was achieved
- Fall semester
- Jun 15 - United States applicants
- May 1 - Overseas international applicants
- Spring semester
- Nov 15 - United States applicants
- Oct 1 - Overseas international applicants
There are no summer admissions. The program director will inform applicants of the admission decision for fall semester by July 1 and for spring semester by November 30.
A complete application file consists of two parts (three for international students.) Begin the application process by first applying online using the online graduate application. All application materials become the property of Metropolitan State University and are not returned. All application materials must be received in the Graduate Studies Office by the application deadline, and will be made available to the MSCS Graduate Admissions Committee for review.
Part one - apply online
- Complete the Online Graduate Programs Application. You will use your Minnesota State StarID to complete the application. If you don't have a Minnesota State StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application. If you encounter difficulty with the online application please email email@example.com.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee online using the online application.
- The current fee of $20 is waived for graduates of Metropolitan State University.
- Submit official transcripts or transcript evaluation showing a baccalaureate degree or equivalent earned from an accredited institution with grade-point average or narrative description describing courses completed.
- Transcripts from ALL schools attended after high school and from any graduate or professional programs are required.
- All transcripts from non-U.S. schools must be evaluated (course-by-course) by:
- Educational Credential Evaluators (third-party website) (preferred)
- World Education Services (third-party website)
- Electronic transcripts (preferred) sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paper transcripts sent directly from the sending institution (preferred) to:
- Metropolitan State University
Attn: Graduate Admissions
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul MN 55106
Part Two - Upload Remaining Documents
Once you've applied online you can login to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password and upload remaining documents and check on the status of your application. To be considered for admission you must provide:
- Two Letters of Recommendation (required); Upload
- From professional sources, at least one of which is a current or former college instructor, and at least one of which is a current or former work supervisor.
- Current Resume (required); Upload
- Documenting relevant work experience
- Purpose Essay (required); Upload
- Describing why you wish to enroll in the program
- Address why you feel you have the necessary background to succeed in the graduate program (for applicants without a computer science major)
- Official GRE Scores (recommended):
- Minimum scores - Verbal: 150 and Quantitative: 155, or a total of 305
Part three - international students only
In addition to parts one and two, international applicants in the U.S. or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide this information for admission to the university.
- Proof of English proficiency (official TOEFL or IELTS score)
- Minimum scores: TOEFL 80 IBT, 213 CBT, 550 PBT or IELTS 6.5
- IBT=internet based; CBT=computer based; PBT=paper based
- Financial statement (F1 visa only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details.
- Mailing Address:
International Student Services
Metropolitan State University
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul, MN 55106-5000
Questions about applying to the Computer Science program?
Please contact email@example.com (preferred) or call 651.793.1302.
Questions about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.