Program eligibility requirements
The combined (BS + MS) program in Cybersecurity Operations bases admission decisions on the applicant's academic work and professional background/experience in cybersecurity, along with recommendation letters. The graduate director determines admission into the program and transfers coursework equivalency.
The following items are the minimum requirements for potential admission into the program. Meeting these requirements is not a guarantee of admission.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the end of Junior year.
- Have declared cybersecurity as a major.
- Have completed (or in progress) 90 or more credits towards fulfilling the bachelor's degree requirement.
Current students: Declare Cybersecurity as a major
Once you’re admitted as an undergraduate student and have met any further admission requirements your chosen program may have, you may declare a major.
Future students: Apply now
Apply to Metropolitan State: Start the journey toward your Cybersecurity Operations Combined (BS + MS) program now. Learn about the steps to enroll or, if you have questions about what Metropolitan State can offer you, request information, visit campus or chat with an admissions counselor.
Fall Semester Application Deadlines
- May 1: International (Non-US) Applicants
- May 15: Priority Deadline—United States Applicants
- June 15: Deadline
Note: Applications will only be accepted after the deadline if the cohort is not full.
All applicants will receive an admissions decision no later than July 31.
To be eligible for acceptance into the combined (BS + MS) program, applicants must fulfill the above requirements and complete the following multipart application.
Part One: Apply Online
Complete the Online Graduate Programs Application. You will use your Minnesota State StarID to complete the application. If you don't have a Minnesota State StarID, you will create one at the beginning of the application. If you encounter difficulty with the online application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The current fee of $20 will be waived for graduates of Metropolitan State University.
- Unofficial Metropolitan State University transcript. The Office of Admissions will retrieve the transcript on your behalf.
Part Two: Upload Remaining Documents
Once you've applied online, you can log in to the Applicant Portal using your StarID and password and upload the following remaining documents.
- A competency statement (two pages maximum) outlining the applicant's:
- Knowledge and interest in cybersecurity discipline and human factors that impact personal use policies and monitoring.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems, distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information to make logical decisions, and provide solutions to individual and organization problems.
- Ability to make clear and convincing oral presentations to individuals or groups; listens effectively and clarifies information as needed; facilitates an open exchange of ideas and fosters an atmosphere of open communication.
- Two letters of recommendation from people (faculty, supervisor, etc.) qualified to judge the applicant's ability to complete the graduate-level work.
- Current Resume.
Part Three: International Students Only
In addition to parts one and two, international applicants in the US or abroad, on any type of visa, are required to provide the following information for admission to the university.
- Proof of English proficiency: An official TOEFL or IELTS test with a minimum score of:
- TOEFL: 80 IBT (internet based), 213 CBT (computer based), or 550 (paper based)
- IELTS: 6.5
- Financial statement (F1 Visa Only)
- Immunization records
- Copies of passport, visa, I-94, and international home address and phone numbers
Visit International Student Services graduate admissions for part three details.
International Student Services
Metropolitan State University
700 East Seventh Street
Saint Paul, MN 55106-5000
Official acceptance into the Cyber Operations MS program is contingent upon maintaining a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 upon graduation. Students will not be officially accepted without meeting this criterion.
Questions regarding the program's application can be directed to email@example.com (preferred) or call 651-793-1302.
Questions about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.