Each student is unique and accommodations are based on the individual needs of the student. Center for Accessibility Resources works with students through an interactive process to determine what would be appropriate and reasonable for that individual. There is not exhaustive list of accommodations that are available to students. We work with each student to determine their accommodations, which may change over time depending on their disability and the courses and/or activities they are participating in.
There are two things that we cannot do in terms of accommodations:
- Accommodations may never be retroactive: For example if a student registers with CAR in the middle of the semester accommodations would not be effective going back to the start of the term.
- Accommodations may not fundamentally alter a program or compromise academic integrity.
If you are wondering what some accommodations might be we have included some more common ones here. All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis through an interactive process.
In the classroom
Some accommodations for the classroom are:
- Adjustable furniture such as chairs and desks
- Preferential seating
- Note-taking assistance through the use of assistive technology or a peer note taker
- Early access to PowerPoint slides or other course materials
- Service animals
- Frequent breaks from the classroom or technology
- Hats or sunglasses
- ASL interpretation
- Communication Access Real-time Translation (CART)
- Use of a laptop, tablet or assistive technology such as text-to-speech software
- Written instructions
- Coursework accommodations, including alternative presentation formats and alternative formats for text or other visual materials
- Typed assignments (instead of hand-written)
- Periodic check-ins with instructor or other student support resource
Some accommodations for exams are:
- Assistive technology
- Alternative test format (for example, electronic instead of paper)
- Extended test time
- Distraction-reduced testing environment
- ASL interpretations
- Memory cue
Other accommodations CAR can arrange include:
- Priority registration
- Accommodation for clinical or practicum sites